Virtual JA Job Shadow Overview
Below you will find the overview for the virtual JA Job Shadow at JE Dunn Construction. During the next few hours, you should complete steps 1 and 2. You should watch at least THREE videos from step 3, but JA encourages you to watch all of the Deep Dive videos. Lastly, check out some of the supporting links that JE Dunn has provided.
Before starting any of the videos, you should open your virtual JA Job Shadow Student Guide. This is where you can take notes throughout these videos and take the most away from this experience. For this event, please complete the full student guide document. The only section that should be skipped over is called “Scenario Challenge.” Remember – if you hear any terms or words that you are not familiar with, write those down! You can then review the additional documents the company has sent over to see if they cover those words you don’t know. If they don’t, it is your turn to do your own research!
Now let’s get started!
Step 1 – Company Overview: JE Dunn is not your typical construction company. Their vision is to be an indispensable business partner to their clients by first understanding their goals and customers and then providing transformational solutions with certainty of results. They are committed to building inspired places in communities coast to coast. JE Dunn was founded in 1924 in Kansas City, Missouri and has been operating in the Denver metro area since 1998. In that time, JE Dunn has developed some of the most iconic Denver and Colorado locations including: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, the Belmar shopping center, Spire, and quite a few of the Denver Public School buildings.
Below you will find a few resources to help kick off this virtual event! Check out more details about what JE Dunn is all about by clicking their website and learning more about the company’s history. Once you have done a bit more research, head over to the Company Welcome and Overview video.
- JE Dunn Website
- History of JE Dunn
- JE Dunn Promotional Video
- Company Welcome & Overview
- Mike Tilbury – Vice President of Operations
Step 2 – Tours: Now that you know a bit more about the mission of JE Dunn and have seen some of the amazing projects they have worked on in the past, it is time to see where this amazing work happens! Check out their west region headquarters tour, followed by a jobsite tour that is VERY unique to the innovative buildings JE Dunn is known for. You will get to see more details on the behind the scenes effort that is required before you even get to breaking ground on a jobsite in the next step.
- JE Dunn Office Tour Video
- University of Colorado Anschutz Health Sciences Building (AHSB) Jobsite Tour
- Jimmy Kaczmarek – Senior Project Engineer
- Rachel Brashear – Project Engineer
- Colorado Department of Agriculture Laboratory Tour
- Check out more about the Enscape and HoloLens technology here.
Step 3 – Department Deep Dives: You’ve now seen where employees at JE Dunn work and have seen that work in action, but who is all involved to make a project come to fruition? Several JE Dunn volunteers have recorded a video to walk you through their days, give a feel for what their job entails, and provide additional context about their overall career journey! Click on their names to watch each deep dive video.
- Rachel Brashear – Project Engineer
- Make sure to note the ‘V’ columns she refers to (also see the photos she took onsite). They appear in the AHSB Jobsite Tour Video!
- Rhaissa Carreras – Estimator
- Bethany Diamond – Virtual Design and Construction (VDC)
- Make sure to note the 3D model of the ‘V’ columns that appear in the AHSB Jobsite Tour Video!
- Todd Karnik – Senior Superintendent
- Here is an example of a site that Todd might work on.
- Callie Morris – Marketing Specialist
- Check out this example of a qualifications package that Callie refers to her in video.
- Extra! Check out where these employees fall within the JE Dunn Employee Organization Chart.
Step 4 – Additional Resources: Congratulations! You have just finished our virtual JA Job Shadow! It wouldn’t be an actual event, if you didn’t get some handouts! Below are some additional resources provided by JE Dunn. They give you a bit more information on what they do at the facility and also provide some more context on some of the things mentioned throughout the videos.
- Larimer County Breaks Ground on New Jail
- 2019 JE Dunn Year in Review (aka Annual Report)
- AirForce Chapel Renovation
- AHSB Ground Breaking
- JE Dunn Internship Overview
- Full JE Dunn YouTube Page
Questions? If you have any questions about what you saw during the videos or questions for any of the volunteers that spoke, please provide those to your teacher. Your teacher can then provide those questions to their JA representative.